やっほー~!Gyaru blog time~
Breaking news... I HATE my Gyaru 101 blog, so I deleted it!
It's the first blog I ever posted, so I'm trying to give myself a smidgen of grace here... But ack!!! It's dreadful!!! Therefore, drumroll please... I'm rewriting it! Right here, right now! Since I've written many blogs explaining what I was trying to convey in the original blog, I will be linking to them quite a bit, just so this revised version doesn't get too bogged down with my history lessons. God knows the original most certainly did... Prepare for some of the information to be quite a bit different, because little 18-year-old me was horrifically misinformed! Pardon me while I wallow in humiliation... Anyway! I think this blog will be significantly superior in every way, so...~
Take a seat, students! Antama is about to yap!
The term Gyaru (ギャル) is the Japanese loanword of the English word "girl."
The term first began to be used in Japan sometime within the 1970's and into the 1980's, with a multitude of connotations and meanings. As the use of the word Gyaru can be traced back to the 1970's, many incorrectly believe that the Gyaru subculture itself began in the 70's proper, but this is inaccurate.
Gyaru, as we understand it today, is more of a product of the 80s with the rise of another specific subculture: Bodikon. For an in-depth exploration of Bodikon and the historical factors that play into it, please check out my blog, but to keep things brief, Bodikon came about during the Bubble Era of Japan. The Bubble Era was a time of immense economic prosperity, and young people across Japan suddenly had a lot more disposable income. Young women in particular enjoyed this economic bubble, as this was one of the first times women in Japan began working outside of the home on a large scale.
As Japan's economy flourished, things like nightlife became popular amongst these young people. Clubbing and discotheques were especially popular, and that's where the Bodikon trend took root. University students and young corporate professionals alike would flock to the hottest nightclubs starting in Osaka, but the scene eventually exploded in Tokyo. Here, many a girl would don her tightest, most form-fitting dresses and high heels for a night of dancing the night away.
As trends shifted and Bodikon fizzled out, the Kogyaru did not disappear. They began tanning, dyeing their hair, wearing extreme makeup, and incorporating their school uniforms into their looks. Some traded in their uniform blazers for cardigans, they started wearing loose socks that hung over their shoes, and shortened their skirts. From 1994 and further into the 90s, there was also a boom in the Loco Girl (ロコガール) aesthetic, meant to emulate "local girls" from Hawaii, that influenced Kogyaru aesthetics (I'm planning to write a blog about this, so I'll link more in-depth information when it becomes available).
At this point, many people attribute the rise of Gyaru fashion to a desire to rebel against traditional Japanese beauty standards, but that's not entirely accurate either. As Kogyaru was born from residual Bubble Era prosperity, the main focus was on consumer culture, following trends, and standing out; they took cues from fashion trends overseas, particularly those of Black Americans and Native Hawaiians. It's hard to stress just how mainstream Kogyaru became as the 90's wore on, but all this to say, the rebellious nature of Kogyaru was by and large a byproduct, not the entire motivation. Kogyaru was meant to be trendy and fashionable, and it was not necessarily a political/social statement on the way women and girls were treated in Japan.
The department store Shibuya 109 became increasingly essential to the Kogyaru population, as well. Shibuya had long been a hub for youth fashion trends (especially Yankii), and as the Kogyaru style became more and more mainstream, a multitude of stores began catering to the tastes of Kogals. Shibuya 109 was so beloved, in fact, that the shopping bags (shoppers) from the stores within became part of the Kogyaru uniform, so to speak. The mall remains a cornerstone of Gyaru culture today.
Remember, Antama loves you~!
Kiss kiss~ ☆⌒ヽ(*'、^*)chu

















0 comments:
Post a Comment